vrijdag 22 juli 2016

Cyberspace Is A Black hole

Watching Adam Curtis‘ 2011 BBC documentary “All watching over by machines of loving grace” I came across a very interesting quote from Carmen Hermosillo, written in 1994.
It is fashionable to suggest that cyberspace is some island of the blessed where people are free to indulge and express their individuality. This is not right. I have seen many people spill out their emotions – their guts – online and I did so myself until I started to see that I had commodified myself. Commodification means that you turn something into a product which has a money value. In the 19th century, commodities were made in factories by workers who were mostly exploited. But I created my interior thoughts as commodities for the corporations that owned the board I was posting to, like CompuServe or AOL. And that commodity was then sold on to other consumer entities as entertainment. Cyberspace is a black hole, it absorbs energy and personality and then re-presents it as an emotional spectacle. It is done by businesses that commodify human interaction and emotion. And we are getting lost in the spectacle.” – Carmen Hermosillo a.k.a. ‘humdog’ (1994)
Can’t simply deny she is now more right about it then ever.
This documentary is really worth watching!
http://alphavilleherald.com/2004/05/introducing_hum.html

Geen opmerkingen:

Peter Flik en Chuck Berry-Promised Land

mijn unieke collega Peter Flik, die de vrijzinnig protestantse radio omroep de VPRO maakte is niet meer. ik koester duizenden herinneringen ...